- 300: Rise of An Empire 2DThursday, 13th March300: Rise of An Empire 3DTuesday, 11th MarchGrand Budapest HotelFriday, 21st MarchMr Peabody and Sherman 2DSaturday, 15th MarchMr Peabody and Sherman 3DSaturday, 15th MarchNon-StopFriday, 21st MarchPrestatyn RisingWednesday, 7th MayStalingradFriday, 14th MarchThe Book ThiefFriday, 28th MarchThe Monuments MenTuesday, 11th March
- Liberty Players: On The RazzleTuesday, 1st April
- Andre Rieu s 10th Anniversary ConcertSaturday, 19th JulyElton John The Million Dollar PianoSaturday, 22nd MarchEnglish National Opera: CelliniTuesday, 17th JuneMet. Opera: Cosi Fan TutteSaturday, 26th AprilMet. Opera: La BohemeSaturday, 5th AprilMet. Opera: WertherSaturday, 15th MarchNT Live: King LearThursday, 1st MayNT Live: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night TimeThursday, 22nd MayNT Live: War Horse EncoreMonday, 17th MarchRSC Live: Henry IV Part 1Wednesday, 14th MayRSC Live: Henry IV Part 2Wednesday, 18th JuneRSC Live: The Two Gentlemen of VeronaWednesday, 3rd SeptemberVikings Live from the British MuseumThursday, 24th April
Bolshoi: La Bayadere (CERT)
Director: BOLSHOI Starring: Bolshoi soloists and the Bolshoi Corps de Ballet 200 mins
Marius Petipa's seminal work La Bayadère was first performed at the Imperial Bolshoi Kamenny Theatre in St.Petersburg in 1877 in a grandiose production portraying a mysterious India and the impossible love between the sacred dancer Nikiya and the warrior Solor. A scene from the ballet, known as The Kingdom of the Shades, is one of the most celebrated excerpts in all of classical ballet, and is considered to be one of the first examples of abstract ballet. Although a major work in Russian tradition, the ballet remained unknown for a long time in the West.
Young warriors led by Solor are hunting. Before entering the forest, Solor sends a fakir to tell bayadère Nikiya (a “Temple Dancer”) that he will meet her later at night. When Nikiya and Solor meet, they swear eternal fidelity to each other.They are unaware that the High Brahmin also in love with Nikiya, overhears them and decides to take revenge. He rushes to reveal this secret to the Rajah who has selected Solor to be the fiancé of Gamzatti, his beloved daughter. Nikiya, unaware of the arrangement, agrees to dance at the couple's betrothal celebrations.
The jealous High Brahmin -in an effort to have Solor killed and have Nikiya for himself- tells the Rajah that the warrior has already vowed love to the bayadère over. But the Rajah, rather than becoming angry with Solor, vows that Nikiya must die. Gamzatti, who has eavesdropped on this exchange, summons Nikiya to the palace in an attempt to bribe her into giving up her beloved. As their rivalry intensifies, Nikiya picks up a dagger in a fit of rage and attempts to kill Gamzatti. Nikiya is stopped at the last moment and flees in horror at what she has almost done. As did her father, Gamzatti vows that the bayadère must die…
BALLET IN 3 ACTS
Music : Ludwig MiNKUS Libretto: Marius PETIPA and Sergei KHUDEKOV Choreography: Marius PETIPA New scenic version: Yuri GRIGOROVICH With scenes from productions by: Vakhtang CHABUKIANI, Nikolai ZUBKOVSKY, Konstantin SERGEYEV Sets after sketches by designers of the 1st production (1877) revived by: Valery FIRSOV, Nikolai SHARONOV Costumes after sketches by designers of the 1st production (1877) revived by: Nikolai SVIRIDCHIKOV Supervisor of scenery and costumes revival: Valery LEVENTAL Music director: tbc
With the Orchestra of the State Academic Bolshoi Theatre of Russia With the Bolshoi soloists and the Bolshoi Corps de Ballet
- Live And Special Performances
- Liberty Players: On The Razzle 01/04
- Andre Rieu s 10th Anniversary Concert 19/07
- Elton John The Million Dollar Piano 22/03
- English National Opera: Cellini 17/06
- Met. Opera: Cosi Fan Tutte 26/04
- Met. Opera: La Boheme 05/04
- Met. Opera: Werther 15/03
- NT Live: King Lear 01/05
- NT Live: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time 22/05
- NT Live: War Horse Encore 17/03
- RSC Live: Henry IV Part 1 14/05
- RSC Live: Henry IV Part 2 18/06
- RSC Live: The Two Gentlemen of Verona 03/09
- Vikings Live from the British Museum 24/04
- Coming Soon
- 300: Rise of An Empire 2D
- 300: Rise of An Empire 3D
- Grand Budapest Hotel
- Mr Peabody and Sherman 2D
- Mr Peabody and Sherman 3D
- Prestatyn Rising
- The Book Thief
- The Monuments Men
- SILVER SCREEN
- Grand Budapest Hotel. Silver Screen
- Stalingrad. Silver Screen
- The Book Thief. Silver Screen
- The Monuments Men. Silver Screen
£4.80 per ticket with free refresments. (3D + £1)
Special Seniors only performance.
Every Tuesday at 11am.
All cinema tickets just £3.50* no concessions *Requires £2.00 supplement for 3D Films.
The Scala no longer participates in the Orange Wednesday promotion. We would like to offer all of our customers a great value ticket on a Wednesday.